SAVOY CINEMA LEYTON
Original British 8 1/2 inch x 12 inch Advertisement from Kinematograph Weekly for H. LAZARUS & SON LTD. – LAZIE CHAIRS installed in the newly opening suburban “super theatre” THE SAVOY CINEMA LEYTON.
On 29th June 1929 the Savoy Cinema became the first cinema in the area to show a ‘talking’ picture, Al Jolson in “The Singing Fool”. A specially constructed speaker enclosure, designed by George Coles was built at the rear of the stage. The cinema opened on 26th December 1928 with the Fox film “Lost in the Arctic”, a silent documentary style picture, plus Lila Lee in “A Bit of Heaven”, a silent comedy and ‘Pathe Gazette’, ‘Pathe Pictorial’, Mewse and Singer & Company on stage in “Moonlight Frolics”.
Located on the corner of Lea Bridge Road and Church Road, Leyton in east London. The Savoy Cinema was built for Hyman Cohen as a cine/variety theatre. It was designed by noted cinema architect George Coles to be a slightly smaller version of his Broadway Cinema, Stratford, East London which opened one year earlier for the Hyams Brothers.
The Savoy Cinema was sold to United Picture Theatres in 1930 for an excessive GBP100,000 and was managed by Gaumont British Ltd. from July 1930. It went through many hands and finally closed as a Classic Cinema on 10th March 1979 with Damien: Omen II.
The Advertisement is in very good condition.
Availability: 1 in stock